CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 24 February 2011

Department of the Army Emblem

Department of the Army - Lineage and Honors

249th MEDICAL COMPANY

 

Organized 10 February 1893 in the New York National Guard at Albany as the Signal and Telegraph Corps, 3d Brigade

Redesignated 10 January 1895 as the 3d Signal Corps, 3d Brigade

Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 15 January 1902 as Troop B, Cavalry

Reorganized and redesignated 11 September 1911 as Troop B, 3d Squadron, Cavalry

Reorganized and redesignated 27 December 1911 as Troop B, 1st Regiment, Cavalry

Reorganized and redesignated 5 November 1913 Troop B, 2d Regiment, Cavalry

Reorganized and redesignated 10 December 1913 as Troop B, 1st Regiment, Cavalry

Mustered into Federal service 30 June 1916 at New York City; mustered out of Federal service 16 March 1917 at Albany

Mustered into Federal service 31 March 1917 at Albany; drafted into Federal service
5 August 1917

(Troop B, 1st Cavalry, organized 16 July 1917 in the New York Guard at Albany as a depot unit)

Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 17 October 1917 as Company B, 104th Machine Gun Battalion, an element of the 27th Division

Demobilized 2 April 1919 at Camp Upton, New York, and relieved from assignment to the 27th Division (later redesignated as the 27th Infantry Division)

Reorganized 22 November 1920 in the New York National Guard at Albany as Troop B, 1st Cavalry 

Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1927 as Troop B, 121st Cavalry

Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 October 1940 as Company B, 101st Antitank Battalion

Inducted into Federal service 6 January 1941 at Albany

Reorganized and redesignated 24 July 1941as Company B, 101st Infantry Battalion, Antitank

Converted and redesignated 15 December 1941 as Company B, 801st Tank Destroyer Battalion

Inactivated 29 November 1945 at Boston, Massachusetts

Converted and redesignated 1 December 1946 as the 27th Signal Company, an element of the 27th Infantry Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 21 April 1947 at Albany

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1955 as the 27th Armored Signal Company, an element of the 27th Armored Division

Reorganized and redesignated 16 March 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 227th Signal Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 15 April 1963 as Headquarters Detachment, 27th Signal Battalion
                                                                                               
Consolidated 1 February 1968 with Company C, 27th Signal Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 16 March 1959 at Albany), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 27th Signal Company

Consolidated 1 December 1971 with the Aero Scout Platoon, Troop D, 1st Squadron, 101st Cavalry (see ANNEX), and consolidated unit designated as Troop D, 1st Battalion, 101st Cavalry

Converted and redesignated 1 June 1978 as Company D, 42d Aviation Battalion

Location changed 8 August 1986 to Latham

Reorganized and redesignated 2 October 1986 as Headquarters and Service Company, 42d Aviation Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1987 as Headquarters and Service Company, 1st Battalion, 142d Aviation

Location changed 1 September 1995 to Rochester

Allotted 1 September 2002 to the New York and Rhode Island Army National Guard

Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 December 2002 as the 249th Medical Company         

Ordered into active Federal service 30 November 2003 at Rochester; released from active Federal service 27 May 2005 and reverted to state control

ANNEX

Organized and Federally recognized 15 December 1947 in the New York National Guard at Albany as Battery D, 127th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 16 March 1959 as Battery D, 1st Automatic Weapons Battalion, 210th Artillery

Converted and redesignated 1 October 1960 as Company D, 1st Medium Tank Battalion, 210th Armor

Converted and redesignated 15 April 1963 as Company A, 27th Aviation Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1968 as the Aero Scout Platoon, Troop D, 1st Squadron, 101st Cavalry

HOME STATION: Rochester, New York (less detachment at North Kingstown, Rhode Island)


CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War I
Flanders
Ypres-Lys
Somme Offensive
 
World War II
Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe
 
War on Terrorism
Campaigns to be determined

 

DECORATIONS

        Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 2003-2005

Belgian Fourragere 1940

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action along the Siegfried Line

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action on  Elsenborn Crest

 

        BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

 

 

JEFFREY J. CLARKE
Chief of Military History


Return to Branch Index