CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 17 February 2012

Department of the Army Emblem

Department of the Army - Lineage and Honors

323d MILITARY POLICE COMPANY

Parent unit organized 15 July 1911 in the Ohio National Guard at Toledo as Troop D, 1st Cavalry Squadron

Mustered into Federal service 19 June 1916 at Camp Willis, Ohio; mustered out of Federal service 28 February 1917 at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana

Expanded 16 April 1917 to form Troops D and M, First Regiment Ohio Cavalry (Troop D – hereafter separate lineage)

Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 22 May 1917 as Battery E, 2d Regiment Ohio Field Artillery

Called into Federal service 15 July 1917; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

Reorganized and redesignated 15 September 1917 as Battery F, 135th Field Artillery, an element of the 37th Division

Demobilized 11 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio

Reorganized 14 May 1921 in the Ohio National Guard at Toledo as Battery F, 1st Field Artillery

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1921 as Battery F, 135th Field Artillery, an element of the 37th Division

Inducted into active Federal service 15 October 1940 at Toledo

Redesignated 1 February 1942 as Battery C, 174th Field Artillery, and relieved from assignment to the 37th Division (37th Division concurrently redesignated as the 37th Infantry Division

Reorganized and redesignated 25 February 1943 as Battery C, 174th Field Artillery Battalion

Inactivated 23 December 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey

Expanded, reorganized, and Federally recognized 26 March and 22 October 1947 in the Ohio National Guard at Toledo as Batteries B and C, respectively, 140th Field Artillery Battalion, elements of the 37th Infantry Division (Battery C, 140th Field Artillery Battalion – hereafter separate lineage)

Battery B, 140th Field Artillery Battalion, ordered into active Federal service 15 January 1952 at Toledo

(Battery B, 140th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS], organized and Federally recognized 15 January 1954 at Toledo)

Released from active Federal service 15 June 1954 and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from Battery B, 140th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 September 1959 as Battery B, 2d Howitzer Battalion, 135th Artillery, an element of the 37th Infantry Division

Consolidated 1 April 1963 with the 137th Military Police Company (organized and Federally recognized 29 April 1952 at Toledo); consolidated unit concurrently converted, reorganized, and redesignated as the 37th Military Police Company, an element of the 37th Infantry Division

Redesignated 15 February 1968 as the 583d Military Police Company and relieved from assignment to the 37th Infantry Division

Redesignated 1 February 1972 as the 833d Military Police Company

Consolidated 1 May 1977 with the 585th Military Police Company (see ANNEX) and consolidated unit redesignated as the 323d Military Police Company

Ordered into active Federal service 6 December 1990 at Toledo; released from active Federal service 29 June 1991 and reverted to state control

Location changed 1 July 1996 to Walbridge; on 1 April 1998 to Toledo

Ordered into active Federal service 9 October 2001 at Toledo; released from active Federal service 8 October 2002 and reverted to state control

Ordered into active Federal service 24 January 2003 at Toledo; released from active Federal service 23 January 2004 and reverted to state control

ANNEX

Organized and Federally recognized 23 March 1921 in the Ohio National Guard at Toledo as Service Company, 2d Infantry

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1921 as Service Company, 148th Infantry, an element of the 37th Division

Inducted into Federal service 15 October 1940 at Toledo

(37th Division redesignated 1 February 1942 as the 37th Infantry Division)

Inactivated 5 December 1945 at Camp Anza, California

Expanded as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 148th Infantry, and Company A, 148th Infantry, elements of the 37th Infantry Division; Company A Federally recognized 1 July 1948 at Toledo (Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 148th Infantry Federally recognized 23 January 1947 – hereafter separate lineage)

Ordered into active Federal service 15 January 1952 at Toledo

(Company A, 148th Infantry [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 15 January 1954)

(Federal recognition withdrawn 14 May 1954 from Company A, 148th Infantry [NGUS]; Company D, 148th Infantry [NGUS] concurrently organized and Federally recognized 15 May 1954 at Toledo)

Released from active Federal service 15 June 1954 and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from Company D, 148th Infantry (NGUS)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 September 1959 as the 1st Rifle and Weapons Platoon, Company D, 1st Battle Group, 148th Infantry

Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1960 as the 2d Rifle and Weapons Platoon, Company D, 1st Battle Group, 148th Infantry

Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1963 as Company A, 1st Battalion, 148th Infantry

Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 15 February 1968 as the 585th Military Police Company and relieved from assignment to the 37th Infantry Division

HOME STATION: Toledo

 

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War I
Lorraine 1918

World War II
Northern Solomons
Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Luzon (with arrowhead)
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe
                                                
War on Terrorism
  Iraq:
Liberation of Iraq
Transition of Iraq


DECORATIONS

            Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered LUZON

            Valorous Unit Award, Streamer embroidered IRAQ 2003

            Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 2001-2002

            Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO
4 JULY 1945

 

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY: 

 

 

ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
Director, Center of Military History


Return to Branch Index