CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 12 Apr 2007

Department of the Army Emblem

Department of the Army - Lineage and Honors

HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS DETACHMENT
1297th SUPPORT BATTALION

 

Organized and Federally recognized 3 May 1937 in the Maryland National Guard at Camp Ritchie as Company D, 104th Quartermaster Regiment, an element of the 29th Division (later redesignated as the 29th Infantry Division)

Redesignated 1 April 1939 as Company E, 104th Quartermaster Regiment

Inducted into Federal service 3 February 1941 at Camp Ritchie

Reorganized and redesignated 12 March 1942 as the Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 104th Quartermaster Battalion, an element of the 29th Infantry Division

Reorganized and redesignated 1 August 1942 as the Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 104th Quartermaster Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 27 September 1942 as the 729th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company, an element of the 29th Infantry Division

Inactivated 17 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey

 Redesignated 20 June 1946 as the 729th Ordnance Maintenance Company, an element of the 29th Infantry Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 6 January 1947 at Camp Ritchie

Reorganized and redesignated 6 April 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 729th Ordnance Battalion, and remained assigned to the 29th Infantry Division; location concurrently changed to Havre de Grace (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1963 as the 729th Maintenance Battalion

Headquarters and Company A relieved 21 January 1968 from assignment to the 29th Infantry Division (remainder of battalion – hereafter separate lineage)

Ordered into active Federal service 7 April 1968 at Havre de Grace; released from active Federal service 12 April 1968 and reverted to state control

Reorganized and redesignated 1 December 1971 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 729th Maintenance Battalion

Location changed 1 August 1972 to Glen Arm

Reorganized and redesignated 1 June 1986 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 297th Maintenance Battalion

Location changed 1 February 1990 to Havre de Grace

Consolidated 1 September 1993 with the 1729th Maintenance Company (organized and Federally recognized 1 December 1971 at Havre de Grace) and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 297th Maintenance Battalion

Converted and redesignated 1 September 1994 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 1297th Support Battalion

Consolidated 1 October 1996 with the 1729th Quartermaster Company (see ANNEX) and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 1297th Support Battalion

Ordered into active Federal service 9 September 2004 at Havre de Grace; released from active Federal service 8 March 2006 and reverted to state control


ANNEX

Organized and Federally recognized 5 April 1959 in the Maryland Army National Guard at Groom Station as Battery C, 3d Missile Battalion, 70th Artillery

Reorganized and redesignated 27 July 1962 as Battery C, 1st Missile Battalion, 70th Artillery; location concurrently changed to Waldorf

Converted and redesignated 23 May 1971 as the 70th General Supply Company

Location changed 1 December 1971 to Pikesville; on 1 December 1974 to Woodstock

Redesignated 16 September 1987 as the 70th Supply Company

Location changed 1 December 1991 to Baltimore

Reorganized and redesignated 2 September 1993 as the 1729th Quartermaster Company

HOME STATION: Havre de Grace

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

                                                        World War II
                                                        Normandy (with arrowhead)
                                                        Northern France
                                                        Rhineland
                                                        Central Europe

                                                        War on Terrorism
                                                        Campaigns to be determined

 

DECORATIONS

French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered BEACHES OF NORMANDY

 

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

 

 

JEFFREY J. CLARKE
Chief of Military History


Return to Branch Index