Stone House


Map, Manassas Battlefield, Stone House

Continue south on CR 234 .5 mile to the Stone House at the junction with Route 29. There is a parking lot to your left adjacent to the house. The place was built about 1820 and was used as an ordinary, or tavern, probably into the 1850s. The building became a hospital during both battles in the area. General Pope established his headquarters on Buck Hill directly to the north of the house. After visiting the house, walk up to the lone cedar on the crest of Buck Hill.

On 29 August Pope arrived on the field shortly after noon. He first set up on the Dogan House hill forward of this position, but soon moved to here because it was easier for everyone to find. He then rode forward to inspect the line. About 1300, David Strother on his staff described arriving at the command post.

I found the General and Staff grouped around a large pine-tree which stood solitary on the crest of an open hill, overlooking our whole line of battle. The summit immediately in our front was occupied by a line of batteries, some thirty or forty pieces, blazing and fuming like furnaces. Behind these a fine brigade of Reno's command lay resting on their arms. To their right stood Heintzelman, with the divisions of Hooker and Kearney, whose musketry kept up a continuous roar. Supporting the left of this line of guns was Sigel, also sharply engaged with small-arms. On an open bluff still further to the left, and on the opposite side of the valley traversed by the Warrenton Turnpike, lay Schenck's Division, which had been a good deal cut up, and was not actively engaged at this moment. The dry grass which covered the hill he occupied had taken fire, and was burning rapidly, occasionally obscuring that portion of the field with its smoke. Beyond him, on the extreme left of our line, General Reynolds with the Pennsylvania Reserves, lay masked from the enemy by a wood. The enemy's position can only be known by the smoke of his guns, for all his troops and batteries are concealed by the wood. Other points of interest are to be seen from this site:

Sigel's bivouac, night of 28-29 August-Robinson Hill, the White House to the southeast.

Hatch's bivouac, night of 28-29 August-base of Chinn's Ridge, on the southwest side of the road intersection.

McDowell's approach, 1500, 29 August and Porter's c. 0730, 30 August—up route 234 from the south.

McDowell based himself near the Stone House, but made personal recons elsewhere.

Southeast of road junction along SR 234 are the final positions, 1800, 30 August, of Meade, Milroy, and Sykes, north to south.

This area to the north was occupied by Sigel and Reno the evening of the disaster, 30 August.