Cedar Creek After Action Report, Commander, 139th Pennsylvania Volunteers (1st Brigade, 2d Division, 6th Corps) (OR, 43, 206-207)


Report of Lieut. Col. John G. Parr, One hundred and thirty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations October 19.



October 2O, 1864.


SIR: In compliance with orders, I have the honor to forward the following report of the operations of my command during the battles of the 19th instant:


About 6 a. m. I received orders to pack up and move, which was done, the regiment moving left in front. After marching about half a mile was halted, and formed line of battle, the Sixty-second New York on my left, and connecting with the First Division, Sixth Corps, on the right; advanced and crossed a creek, but was almost immediately ordered to recross the stream and change direction to the right. While I was engaged in doing this remainder of the brigade moved back, and I retired to the point where the line was originally formed. Battery C, First Rhode Island, was at this point. At the request of its commanding officer I formed line to cover the withdrawal of the guns, but the officer unlimbered and began firing. The enemy continued advancing, and he was compelled to retire. I remained, engaging the enemy, until he came up on my left and rear and opened fire upon us, completely flanking us. I then ordered the regiment to fall back, contesting the ground gallantly until the troops on our right moved back, when I retired by the flank until I reached a line formed by First Division, Sixth Army Corps, where I halted and reported to General Wheaton. He told me to remain with his command until the whereabouts of the brigade could be ascertained. About 1 p. m. I rejoined the brigade, and was placed in line on the left of the Sixty- second New York, and advanced, at 3 p. m., about half a mile, where a halt was made, and opened fire on the enemy. On discovering the lines on my right and left retiring, I ordered a withdrawal, but again advanced with the line until we reached a point which the enemy had been driven from. Here the line halted, and a brisk fire was opened on the enemy. We remained at this point a half hour, engaging the enemy, and then advanced, the enemy falling back in great disorder. The pursuit was continued until the works of the Nineteenth Corps were reached, where we halted. My regimental colors were the first ones to reach the works. Of the officers and men I cannot say too much, all doing their duty nobly. At one time in the morning the command was in great danger of being captured, but by stubbornly contesting, the ground we escaped. I arrived at my former camp at about 6.30 p. m. and bivouacked.


The list of casualties are forwarded.


Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Lieutenant-Colonel, Commanding Regiment.



Assistant Adjutant-General.