SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the action which took place on this field July 1, 2, and 3. 1898:

Troop F, Tenth Cavalry, which I commanded, was in column of twos in the road at a halt awaiting the passage of a column of infantry when fire from the Spanish intrenchments opened. The troop came under a very severe fire-musketry and artillery-at once, with no means of determining from whence the fire came, as all view was entirely cut off by the densest underbrush which lined the road, and no effective cover to get to. After something like half an hour of this fire the squadron was put in the attacking line as support and moved forward. In the brush and amid the roar of guns all sight of the firing line and touch of adjoining troops was lost. Lieutenant Whitehead, with a part of the second platoon, were also separated from the troop, and I think passed in front of the troop from left to right during the advance. Lieutenant Whitehead joined his detachment to the first command he met and advanced with it. The troop advanced at double time on the enemy's works as soon as out of the brush and in sight of the works. On arriving on the hill on which the works stood it was found that the works were carried and the Spaniards were retreating to the next crest. The troops had become mixed up in a crowd of disorganized soldiers at the works. It was at once assembled, line of skirmish was formed, the advance taken up in the direction of the retreat of the enemy. While at the first works Lieutenant Anderson with a part of Troop C reported to me as the senior officer of the regiment present and was put on the skirmish line on the right of my troop. We, advanced together over the next ridge and down it to within about 500 yards of the works at present occupied by the enemy. Here we remained for some time exchanging fire with the enemy in the works. My left was on the road. There were troops on my left, and a little less advanced, and troops on my right a little more advanced, but their firing was not strong. Being, so far as I know, unsupported, I sent word back to the squadron commander describing my position, and was ordered to return to the crest of the hill which our troops now occupy on the road. Here I received word that the hill was to be held at all hazards. The troop occupied the crest, exchanging fire with the enemy, until dark. During the night a trench was dug and occupied at daylight, the morning of the 2d. The troop remained in this trench until late in the afternoon, every exposure at the trench drawing fire from the enemy. The fire was returned only when several of the enemy exposed themselves at once. On the night of the 2d the troop was joined with the regiment and moved farther to the right on the general line, where it again intrenched. and has remained in the trenches to the present time.

Lieutenant Whitehead, who was separated from the troop at the commencement of the advance, returned to it soon after it reached its most advanced position, bringing his detachment with him.

I wish to mention both Lieutenant Anderson, who was with me from the termination of the first assault, and Lieutenant Whitehead for their coolness and bravery. I could only do justice to the troop by mentioning by name all who were engaged, not only for their bravery, but for their splendid discipline under the most demoralizing fire.

Killed-First Lieut. W. E. Shipp, on temporary staff duty.

Wounded-Second Lieut. H. C. Whitehead, slightly, and continued in action; Sergt. Amos Elliston, Sergt. Frank Rankin, Corpl. Allen Jones, Blacksmith Charles Robertson, Private Isom Taylor, Private Benjamin West.

Very respectfully,

T. W. Jones.
Captain, Tenth Cavalry. Commanding Troop F.