Navigation Menu loading...

Lineages and Honors Information
Field Artillery

Lineage and Honors Information as of 23 April 2018

5th Battalion, 3d Field Artillery Regiment

  • Constituted 27 April 1798 in the Regular Army as a company in the 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Organized in June 1798 at Alexandria, Virginia, as Captain William McRea’s Company, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Redesignated 3 March 1799 as Captain William McRea’s Company, 4th Battalion, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Redesignated 31 July 1800 as Captain Alexander D. Pope’s Company, 4th Battalion, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Consolidated 1 April 1802 with Captain Josiah Dunham’s Company, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers (constituted 27 April 1798 in the Regular Army and organized in 1799), and Captain John Henry’s Company, 4th Battalion, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Captain Nehemiah Freeman’s Company, Regiment of Artillerists
  • Reorganized and redesignated 11 January 1812 as Captain Nehemiah Freeman’s Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery
  • Redesignated 10 July 1812 as Brevet Major Nehemiah Freeman’s Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery
  • Redesignated 16 August 1813 as Captain William Gates’ Company, 1st Regiment of Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 12 May 1814 as Captain William Gates’ Company, Corps of Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 17 May 1815 as Captain William Gates’ Company, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division
  • Redesignated 6 July1815 as Brevet Major Alexander S. Brook’s Company, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division
  • Consolidated 29 October 1816 with Company M, 2d Battalion, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division (see ANNEX 2), and consolidated unit designated as Company M, 2d Battalion, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 June 1821 as Company A, 2d Regiment of Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 13 February 1901 as the 3d Battery, Field Artillery, Artillery Corps
  • Reorganized and redesignated 31 May 1907 as Battery D, 3d Field Artillery
  • (3d Field Artillery assigned 17 November 1917 to the 6th Division)
  • Inactivated 1 August 1922 at Camp George G. Meade, Maryland
  • Activated 22 September 1922 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois
  • Inactivated 14 December 1922 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois
  • (3d Field Artillery relieved 24 march 1923 from assignment to the 6th Division and assigned to the 5th Division)
  • Consolidated 7 September 1927 with Battery A, 14th Field Artillery (active) (see ANNEX 3), and consolidated unit designated as Battery D, 3d Field Artillery
  • (3d Field Artillery relieved 1 January 1930 from assignment to the 5th Division and assigned to the 6th Division; relieved 25 September 1939 from assignment to the 6th Division and assigned to the 2d Cavalry Division)
  • Inactivated 1 June 1940 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois
  • Absorbed 1 January 1941 by Battery A, 3d Field Artillery Battalion (Battery A, 3d Field Artillery, reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1941 as Battery A, 3d Field Artillery Battalion; reorganized and redesignated 15 July 1942 as Battery A, 3d Armored Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 9th Armored Division; [3d Armored Field Artillery Battalion relieved 6 July 1945 from assignment to the 9th Armored Division]; inactivated 20 October 1946 in Germany; [3d Armored Field Artillery Battalion assigned 20 October 1950 to the 2d Armored Division]; activated 10 November 1950 at Fort Hood, Texas)
  • Former Battery D, 3d Field Artillery, reconstituted 1 July 1957 in the Regular Army
  • Consolidated 1 January 1960 with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery (active) (organized in 1794), and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery )organic elements constituted 12 August 1958 and activated 1 September 1958)
  • Battalion inactivated 18 October 1963 at Oakdale, Pennsylvania
  • Redesignated 24 November 1967 as the 5th Battalion, 3d Artillery, assigned to the 6th Infantry Division, and activated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky
  • Inactivated 24 July 1968 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and relieved from assignment to the 6th Infantry Division
  • Redesignated (less former Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery) 1 September 1971 as the 5th Battalion, 3d Field Artillery (former Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Missile Battalion, 3d Artillery, concurrently redesignated as the 5th Battalion, 3d Air Defense Artillery—hereafter separate lineage)
  • 5th Battalion, 3d Field Artillery, activated 1 October 1983 in Germany
  • Redesignated 1 October 2005 as the 5th Battalion, 3d Field Artillery Regiment
  • ANNEX 1
  • Constituted 27 April 1798 in the Regular Army as a company in the 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Organized in June 1798 at Fort Sumner, Maine, as Captain Decius Wadsworth’s Company, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Reorganized and redesignated 3 March 1799 as Captain Decius Wadsworth’s Company, 4th Battalion, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • Redesignated in August 1801 as Captain John Henry’s Company, 4th Battalion, 2d Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers
  • ANNEX 2
  • Constituted 11 January 1812 in the Regular Army as a company in the 3d Regiment of Artillery
  • Organized 20 August 1812 as Captain William Van Duersen Jr.’s Company, 3d Regiment of Artillery
  • Redesignated in 1813 as a company in the 3d Regiment of Artillery under the command of 1st Lieutenant John W. Greene
  • Redesignated in 1814 as Captain George H. Richard’s Company, 3d Regiment of Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 12 May 1814 as Captain George H. Richard’s Company, Corps of Artillery
  • Redesignated in June 1814 as Captain James McKeon’s Company, Corps of Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 17 May 1815 as Captain James McKeon’s Company, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division
  • Redesignated in August 1815 as Captain Thomas Bennett’s Company, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division
  • Reorganized and redesignated 17 June 1816 as Company M, 2d Battalion, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division
  • ANNEX 3
  • Constituted 1 July 1916 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 14th Field Artillery
  • Organized 1 June 1917 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma
  • Inactivated 1 September 1921 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma
  • Activated 15 December 1922 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois

Campaign Participation Credit

  • War of 1812
  • Canada
  • Indian Wars
  • Seminoles
  • Mexican War
  • Palo Alto
  • Resaca de la Palma
  • Monterey
  • Vera Cruz
  • Cerro Gordo
  • Contreras
  • Churubusco
  • Molino del Rey
  • Chapultepec
  • Tamaulipas 1846
  • Puebla 1847
  • Civil War
  • Bull Run
  • Peninsula
  • Antietam
  • Fredericksburg
  • Chancellorsville
  • Gettysburg
  • Wilderness
  • Spotsylvania
  • Cold Harbor
  • Petersburg
  • Shenandoah
  • Appomattox
  • Virginia 1862
  • Virginia 1863
  • Virginia 1865
  • Maryland 1863
  • War with Spain
  • Santiago
  • Puerto Rico
  • Philippine Insurrection
  • Streamer without inscription
  • World War I
  • Streamer without inscription
  • World War II
  • Rhineland
  • Ardennes-Alsace
  • Central Europe
  • War on Terrorism
  • Campaigns to be determined

Battery B additionally entitled to:

  • War on Terrorism
  • Global War on Terrorism

Decorations

  • Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered LUXEMBOURG

By Order of the Secretary of the Army:

CHARLES R. BOWERY, JR.
Chief of Military History


Return to Branch Index